Saturday, December 12, 2009

what's your name?

For the first time, Jasper repeatedly answered the question, "What's your name?" with his name. Yup. That's right. His name.
He calls himself "Dap-purr." And after getting blank stares every time we'd ask him previously, it was really exciting to hear him say his name.

He also says "Nicholas" and "Soheray". He says "name" too. And he says "Daddy Pappas" and "Mommy Pappas" And "balloon Pappas."

My mom returned to NM for the winter and Jasper watched her drive off. Ever since her departure he asks, "Where Nonny go?" with his hands thrown up. Then he says, "Nonny car" and "Nonny on the road" and I tell him that she went away to New Mexico. He doesn't seem sad, but when I tell my mom this, it makes her sad.

My dad is coming for another visit. Now that he has a grandson, he's come for several visits for a week at a time. Each time is more and more rewarding for him. However, I still have not left my dad alone with my son. I am apprehensive about his care-taking. I worry that something would happen. It's funny. He took care of my sister and I just fine, but that was a long time ago.

I'm just writing thoughts as they come to mind. Now I remember another funny little thing. Jasper knows what a garbage can is and where it is. And after changing his diaper, I can hand him the little bundle and ask him to put it in the garbage. He joyfully takes it and throws it away, returns to me and says, "Thank you." I try to model my requests with please and thank you, asking him rather than commanding him so that he'll do the same with me and others. It's quite amazing to see how effective this can be. He will retrieve things for me when I ask for his help and put things back when I say so. I have the power to train him to be my little servant! HA! But seriously, to be in service joyfully is no easy feat and children naturally are compelled towards this kind of service, so if the adults in their lives model themselves accordingly, the child will develop an inner strength of character simply by absorbing his parents actions. It's incredibly humbling and a huge responsibility.



No comments: