Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I'm Here!

It's been a week and 1 night since we began night weaning. Tonight is night 2. Jasper cries very little now when I leave him after stories, nursing and rocky time. He does his best to postpone my leaving by asking for back rubs, belly rubs, more teta and rocky time. But tonight was the first time he got up and came out of his room after I left. I heard the door creak open and I walked out into the hallway to meet a little person in the dark announce, "I'm here! I woke up!"

I smiled and carried back to bed saying, "It's time for bed. Oh, I see you've turned on your giraffe, good idea. Go to sleep, I'll see you in the morning."

I returned to my room and heard the door creak open again. This time he said, "I gep up." Translation: I get up.

"I see that." I replied. I took him by the hand and walked him into his room and repeated what I had told him earlier.

I have to smile about this. I think it's funny. I'd rather stay up too - I wouldn't want to miss anything either. However, he needs a certain amount of sleep and that is something I won't give up on.

I remember something from one of the many books about older children and sleep training about how one may need to put up a baby gate in the doorway to prevent nocturnal wonderings. Of course, explaining what and why to the child while putting the gate in place.

We have a gate at the top of the stairs just in case. Nick and I have argued over it's necessity since he does not wander at night. I countered that he may and will, we just haven't had that experience yet and I want to be in the habit of locking that gate in case it does begin while we are asleep and have no awareness of it. Last thing I want is my child falling down the stairs due to his groggy state. Tonight confirms the necessity of that gate - Jasper has no problem walking to the door in the dark and opening it. He is more and more sure of his abilities everyday.

Last night we were all up at least 2 hours, Jasper is getting his 2 lower molars and they were probably bothering him. I hope tonight we all get a good night's sleep.

No comments: