How am I to take care of an infant and get anything done? The week before last, I was at work and feeling so out of it, I thought to myself, "I can't do this." And I meant, be a mom, come to work when it doesn't seem to be making a dent financially, keep pumping milk, eat well when it costs so much, basically be me as I am now. I don't know how everyone does this. Some days are better than others: I get some laundry done, prep some food for dinner, get out of the house for a little air, maybe even do some work from home. Most days it takes me until noon to be ready for anything, even though I may have been up since seven. What used to take an hour, now seems to take three.
The brightest star continues to be Jasper. We took him off of Zantac on May 22nd after his second osteopathy visit. Our pediatrician and our doula both recommended trying cranial-sacrum therapy. They also suggested chiropractic work. Anton's dad is a chiropractor/acupuncturist, so I called him about that and he told me what I could do for Jasper at home. I asked our doula if she knew anyone who did cranial work and she recommended Ari Rosen in Rhinebeck. I made two appointments with him and in consultation with Dr. Vigna, I stopped giving Jasper the medication. He is doing really well! I am so happy. He still struggles with gas, so we continue to treat that homeopathically. We use Colic Calm (activated charcoal gripe water)
A few weeks ago, after a long and tearful emotional overload, Jasper laughed for the first time. I'd been taking a bath and Nick came in with Jasper. He was playing with him on his knee, mimicking the sound of a motorcycle while zooming Jasper around curves and bumpy roads. Jasper smiled and cooed with delight, and eventually was so excited that he broke out in laughter. His first laugh! It really made me feel better, seeing how he could still be happy even when I momentarily was not.
Today we saw Dr.Vigna for his check-up - he's in perfect shape! Weighing 14 lbs 8oz (50-75 percentile) and 26 inches (90th percentile) - ok, I included the percentile, but I don't really pay attention to that part. Obviously, thought, he is a tall baby - thanks to his dad. He's really strong too, and can almost completely turn over. He's super wiggly when excited. And can hold his head really well, almost able to sit by himself. He's got a sweet disposition and loves looking at the world around him. His next check up is in August, and he'll be 6 months old by then - we can hardly believe it!
We are all looking forward to the promise of summer! It's going to be an exciting one. Firstly, Neda is getting married, and we are celebrating her nuptials with Michael in August. We have a couple more summer weddings to attend as well. In September, we take our first vacation in 3 years - we haven't been on one since our honeymoon!
2 comments:
I just read these. I can see you are doing such a thorough job, I always admire how much thought and research you put into your health and your life. Jasper is a lucky guy :) I know, it isn't easy, but it is very rewarding and worth it. I know it sounds like a cliche but you absolutely need to make sure you have regular time for you, and also for you and Nick without the baby. You can try a babysitting co-op with another couple and set aside one day a week where you and Nick go out for a couple of hours? It really makes a difference. Anyhow, I can't wait to meet Jasper (I can't believe he's 6 months old already) and see your new home.
Happy (belated!!) Mother's Day Mama! You are doing a great job! And that picture of Jasper in his bassinet is the cutest--what a beautiful, peaceful set-up.
Love to you and your family,
Rachel (love from Stan and Harris too)
this motherhood thing is so incredibly hard, isn't it? you're doing a great job, i know it. i hope you get a chance to talk to other mothers about this experience. it can really help when you know you're not alone on this crazy road. and i second rachel's advice to get out with nick alone. we never did it enough, but when we did it steeled me for another week or month. we joined a babysitting co-op about a year ago and we've made decent use of it. i can send you all the info about how it's set up if you want to try to initiate something in your area. i can't wait to meet jasper. what a cutie!
Post a Comment