Monday, June 15, 2009

Fever

For the last 3 days, Jasper has had a fever, which was at it's peak on Saturday evening and finally broke on Sunday afternoon. He's had a couple of fevers before, but they were slight and did not last long. This was his first real illness, it seemed. And I admit, I fretted. On Saturday, I was convinced he had mumps. He checks were puffy and swollen and tender to the touch. He had some weird lump in his testicles. I called Nick in to see. He confirmed my observations. After reading all I could about mumps, I felt I could handle caring for him, if he did and first thing Monday I'd insist on an appointment with his doctor. I gave him some baby tylenol. I called in to work and found someone to take my shift. Then called my mom. Jasper took a nap and when he woke he seemed better, the swelling seemed to have gone down. He played well for an hour, eating very little for dinner, then needed to go back to bed. Nick had friends up for the weekend, so I felt bad that he wasn't 100%, but decided we both needed to go to bed. Jasper fell asleep by 7pm and I stayed by his side, reading. He slept restlessly and woke easily if he wasn't on me, so I kept him cool with a washcloth and consoled him.

By Sunday afternoon, his fever had passed and he slept for 3 hours. He woke up in a good mood, though he was still needy and whiney due to the teething. On Monday I got an 11:30am appointment with his doctor and all proved perfectly fine. The cheek swelling was caused by the teething. I was sure he'd lost weight, since he's been on a liquid diet for days: sippy cups and mother's milk. He weighed in at 25.5 lbs. He's a skinny toddler. It's now Thursday and he remains well, except, of course for the teething.

Next week I will be gone all day for six days straight. I do not look forward to pumping. Jasper is so attached to me, I hope it goes smoothly.

Other Cute Things:
Using his finger he moves it around in the air making a buzzing sound copying me copying the flies and bees. He does it on his own when he sees or hears bussing insects.

Says ball when falling asleep, in his sleep and when he wakes up, and often during the day. All round things are balls, including melons.






1 comment:

Meg McLynn said...

glad to hear the boy is feeling better, no mumps!! super cute pics, too.