Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Excruciating!
I have small veins so I know what it feels like to be poked and prodded with a needle seeking my blood from them. Today we found out that Jasper has small veins too. The phlebologists checked both of his arms for a good one, but could barely feel any. After tying the rubber strip around his right upper arm, they waited and felt again. Jasper was intrigued. His dancing eyes took everything in, including the needle as it slowly entered his skin. His reaction to pain was delayed, I supposed because he could expect it. Then he cried. Oh the tears. He could not comprehend why this pain was being inflicted. And after searching for the vein, she removed the needle without taking any blood. This did not seem right. I really tried to be detached thinking that somehow my calm would sooth Jasper. She was ready to try the other arm. I knew he wasn't ready for it again and I didn't know if I could bear it either. "Let us take a break first," I said. I walked with Jasper to the waiting room to where my Dad was and sat next to him. He said to go ahead and let them try the other arm. That he won't remember the pain and we are here anyway. So we went back in. This time, Jasper knew what was going to happen and began to fret immediately. The other tech found the vein in the other arm and managed to take some blood. Though only enough for the complete blood cell count. We have to go back to get more blood for the lead test. We will wait a month, but I suspect that Jasper will remember...I may be wrong, but we'll see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment