Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Molars

I rarely think about my molars. Every once in awhile I have ghost pain from my absent wisdom teeth. Other than that, I kind of take them for granted.

Jasper's got all four of his first molars coming in at once. The lower right one is mostly in. The upper left one is cutting and the other two are hot bulbs pushing against his gums. It's no fun for any of us, especially him. Despite all the pain and pressure, Jasper remains cheerful - delighting in the world around him. I am impressed.

We do think we notice a difference in his temperament when he has his teething necklace on vs. when he doesn't. He's less fussy. It's subtle, so I asked Nick if he notice a difference too. He does. By it's name, teething necklace seems to imply that he'd chew on the necklace - he doesn't. He just wears it. It's made of amber beads which supposedly have an energetic effect on the body to ease the discomfort of teething. It looks cute on him too.

I've also discovered that eggs are a miracle. I love eggs. Scrambled, Fried, Poached. They are sooo good - especially when they are farm fresh and the yolks are super orange. Jasper loves eggs too. And I can add tons of pureed vegetable to them and he eats them. Miracle food. In addition to veggie eggs, this week he's been eating hummus and rice. I just mix it up with some pureed vegetable, kelp and nutritional yeast flakes and he loves that too. It's the hummus. Avocado remains the favorite fast food, and apples.

And what about me? Us? It's so much easier to write about Jasper. Now that he's walking he doesn't want to stop. He actually pushes me away when I try to hold his hand - he's determined to do it on his own. We went to dinner at my friend Hillary's house and he just walked and walked in circles around the hearth that is the center wall of her home. He chases the cats around our house. I swear Maatchka loves it despite her vocal complaints. And he loves being outside.  

I am still in school on Saturdays - working towards my certificate in Waldorf education. I love it. Yet, it intimidates the hell out of me. Mainly because I believe in the purpose of Waldorf education and to be a teacher has far-reaching ramifications that must always be in one's consciousness while teaching. This has been an amazing program for me - as I have been seeking work that would be meaningful and fulfilling on many levels - and now that I have found it, it kind of scares me. I am pursuing a teaching assistant position for this Fall - so we'll see if something comes of that. In addition, I discovered that Hawthorne valley School, where I do my teacher training, is seeking a Spanish teacher for  grades 1-8. I could do that. I love Spanish. Though, a little voice inside also expresses many doubts. But, I have to jump in sometime, so wish me luck.

I still want to do an Etsy site with my handmade baby things...but it's not easy to get to. 

This week, Nick had one day of work. So, on that front, things are not getting better. Somehow we will get through this, but I can't figure out how. So, we still have to take it one day at a time. When people ask how things are, I sometimes feel that if I say, "Great!" Then they'll think that these problems are resolved and we are doing ok. That if I don't continue to carry on in a sad mood for the troubles we are having, those that know will forget and think we don't need any help. But I don't want to continuously explain and re-explain. I don't want to be in a bad mood. One of the biggest lessons Jasper teaches me is to keep optimistic, choose consistency and happiness. Not that I shield him from sadness, or present him with fake feelings. I just try to keep what's important in perspective.

Right now, Jasper just discovered that he can make something appear that wasn't previously there with a marker on paper. Nick let him scribble on a white sheet of paper with a red permanent marker. Their enthusiasm led to setting up the table with toddler crayons and more white paper. This didn't lead to more scribbling, as Jasper discovered the crayons nested into one another and began stacking them. So, there's not a lot of time for wallowing.

No comments: