"I kissed the Baby" sounds like it's about a human baby, but it isn't. Simple, stylized drawings of bugs and animals all talk about a baby duck, culminating in the mama duck kissing her little one. At that point in the story, Jasper also kisses the baby duck. It's super cute.
"Shapes" is actually a boring book - the illustration are sub-par, but I think it's the star shape at the end that really grabbed his interest.
Finally, "Baby Animals" has touch and feel patches on different animals. However, what is charming about this book is what Jasper does. I don't read it, instead I say the animal and the sound it makes. Well, the sound that 2 of them make, as I couldn't do the elephant, or bunny, or gorilla. But my story telling evolved to use my hand as a bunny that hops hops hops - which Jasper now does when he sees this picture of when you ask him what a bunny does. And for the gorilla, we beat on our chest and grunt - which he does as well, though his grunts are sing song cuteness. And recently, for the elephant, I just decided to be ridiculous and use my arm against my face and swing it like a trunk with a sound as near to an elephant I can make. We'll see if he begins to do this too.
We mainly read these three books at bedtime and he gets them and asks me to read them.
He now says "this" - which began a little over a week ago.
He now signs "milk" - which we call "teta" (titty in Spanish)
He has a word for "glasses" but I haven't been able to pin it down. Whatever it is, he now says it when he points at and tries to pull mine off of my face. He already broke Nick's glasses, but since they were insured, he got a replacement frame right away.
As a family we don't have many opportunities to do things together, but this afternoon we went to Adam's in Kingston and got a few plants. We came home a worked outside. We planted our tomatoes, some flowers and herbs. Jasper was thrilled, as he LOVES to be outside. He swished his hands all the way up to his elbows in the cold water each time we filled the watering can. He carried plants here and there. He dug in the soil. He played with the hose. He was sopping wet and dirty by 7:15. He did not want to come inside and began sobbing as soon as I carried him indoors for a bath. We headed upstairs and he just cried and cried. I couldn't put him down, or pick him up. I took off his clothes and he just wanted to nurse, which immediately calmed him. While holding him in my lap, latched to my tit, I scooted over to the tub and began to draw a bath. He hasn't liked baths for the last 2 weeks or so - he hysterically cries and begins to climb the side of the tub when I try to put him in. This time we emerged into the warm water together while he was still nursing. He did not protest. Sleep came quickly after the bath and books. The sweet little guy!
I'll update pictures again soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment